The award is now in its seventh year and recognises “the best in New Zealand crime fiction”, writes The Spinoff – wow! I’m very honoured to be standing alongside such brilliant talent, particular congratulations to Fiona Sussman and Ben Sanders, fellows at Allen and Unwin NZ.
Longlist entry: Spare Me The Truth by CJ Carver (Bonnier Zaffre): Dan Forrester is struggling to adjust to the gaps in his memory following the death of his son. After a stranger approaches him saying most of what he thinks about his life is a lie, Forrester gets caught up in a conspiracy, alongside a blackmailed woman and a disgraced female cop exiled to the rural backblocks. “It takes all sorts of wild leaps – terrorism, pharmaceutical experimentation – and lands soundly,” ruled ye judges.
The other long-listed books are:
- Dead Lemons by Finn Bell
- Pancake Money by Finn Bell
- Spare Me The Truth by CJ Carver (Bonnie Zaffre)
- Red Herring by Jonothan Cullinane (HarperCollins)
- The Revelations of Carey Ravine by Debra Daley (Quercus)
- The Three Deaths of Magdalene Lynton by Katherine Hayton
- Presumed Guilty by Mark McGinn (Merlot Publishing)
- Marshall’s Law by Ben Sanders (Allen & Unwin)
- A Straits Settlement by Brian Stoddart (Crime Wave Press)
- The Last Time We Spoke by Fiona Sussman (Allison & Busby)
The longlist is currently being considered by a panel of seven crime fiction experts from five countries. The finalists will be announced in August, along with the finalists for the best first novel and best true-crime categories. The winners will be announced at a WORD Christchurch event in October.
CLICK TO BUY YOUR COPY OF SPARE ME THE TRUTH
WANT MORE OF DAN FORRESTER? BOOK 2 IS ON SALE NOW!